Please take care when visiting our locations. Victoria's extreme weather event has continued to make areas around our grounds slippery and waterlogged. Read more
There are several ways to find out if a memorial has expired. For example:
- If you are visiting the memorial in person, you will know if it has expired if it has had an orange sticker placed on it by one of our team
- You can check the status of a memorial online
- You can speak to our team
When tenure expires, SMCT will attempt to reach the family so that they can make arrangements for the memorial. We also:
- Place orange stickers on plaques at expired memorials.
- Periodically place public notices in the Herald Sun newspaper, listing expired memorials scheduled to be disestablished. Memorials are disestablished two months after being listed in the public notice.
- Erect signs within the grounds to encourage families to make contact.
If we are unable to make contact with the family, the expired memorial will be scheduled to be disestablished.
If we have contacted you regarding a memorial, or if you believe that you are the holder of the right of interment for a memorial that is expiring or has expired, you can either:
- Transfer the memorial to perpetuity (so it is held for all time), or
- Collect the person's ashes to be memorialised in a different way.
Please contact one of our Customer Support Consultants on (03) 8558 8299 or email email@example.com to discuss your options.
How to check the status of a memorial
The easiest way to check the status of a memorial at Springvale Botanical Cemetery is to do so online, using our Deceased Search tool.
If you would prefer, you can also contact our Customer Support Consultants on (03) 8558 8299, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.Go to Deceased Search