Important update to live stream services. Find out more
1. Bereavement Assistance and Welfare Options
We encourage you to explore what Australian Government welfare options are available if you are facing financial hardship. Centrelink has payments, support, and other services to help you when someone close to you passes away. The Services Australia website has helpful information on the welfare support you can access when an adult or a child passes away.
2. Essential Care Funeral (ECF)
When a bereaved family cannot afford a funeral for a loved one, the State Trustees can provide funding to lay the loved one to rest, in what is known as an Essential Care Funeral. Arrangements for an ECF can be made when the estate of the deceased person is being administered.
If State Trustees are not already the appointed administrator for the estate, the senior next of kin (or executor, if there is one) can authorise for State Trustees to provide funding for the ECF.
It's important to note that this funding does not cover the cost of a funeral service itself, just a burial or cremation. It also needs to be organised before the loved one has been laid to rest, and cannot be applied to reimburse families once this has already occurred.
For information about accessing Essential Care Funerals, please contact the State Trustees.
3. Support Services
When a loved one passes, it can be tough to process, and the thought of social groups and activities can be challenging. However, one-on-one counselling is available in times of grief, and there are several other professional services worth considering.
- Use Services Australia's service finder to find other support available near you
- The Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement has online resources
- Beyond Blue provides confidential counselling services 24-7
- Griefline provides telephone and online counselling
- headspace is the national youth mental health foundation
- Head to Health is a digital gateway for online and phone mental health services
- Lifeline is a national charity open 24-7 to all Australians in personal crisis
We understand how challenging the death of a loved one can be. Regardless of your financial situation or any other unfortunate circumstances, we are here for you. If you or someone you know is experiencing financial hardship and unable to afford a funeral, get in touch with one of our friendly team members today.