The strategic direction of the Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust (SMCT) is overseen by a board of appointed Trust Members.
This board is responsible to the Minister for Health & Ageing and must ensure good governance of the cemeteries entrusted to its care. Members of the Trust are recruited through a publicly advertised process and are appointed by the Governor in Council for a three-year term. Members may seek to be reappointed after their first term.
Sue Renkin - Trust Chairman
BBS, MBA, Grad.Dip.Corp.Gov., MAICD, FCDA.
Sue Renkin is Director of General Practice Victoria and GMHBA Health Insurance.
Sue’s board experience includes:
- Chairman Victorian Centre for Sustainable Chemical Manufacturing
- Chairman Green Chemical Futures
- Chairman Monash Biomedical Imaging Institute Director GMHBA Health Insurance Director GPV
- Chair of Monash Centre for Biomedical Imaging and Research
- Chair of Monash Centre for Green Chemicals Future
- Prime Minister’s representative on the Australian Bravery Decorations Council, since 1999
- Member Australian Private Hospitals Association committee
- Member St John Ambulance committee
- Member Shelford Anglican Girls’ School committee.
Sue was CEO (Vic) and National Policy Development Manager for Ramsay Health Care for 11 years. She has also held CEO roles with Open Family Australia, St John Ambulance and Mercy Private Hospital.
Sue holds an MBA Monash Uni, Grad Dip Corporate Governance UNE and Grad Cert Competition & Strategy Harvard Business School RN
Julie Busch is Chair of Dandenong Market Pty Ltd, the inaugural Board established by City of Greater Dandenong. She is also a non executive Director at Interact Australia and is involved with Marriott Support Services and Dianella Community Health.
Julie has worked extensively in private and publicly owned retail property, local government and community sectors. She holds a Bachelor of Arts and was the first woman in SA to attain a Graduate Certificate in Shopping Centre Management.
Julie has previously held senior management roles at:
- the Prahran Market
- Melbourne Central Shopping Centre
- Coles Myer Properties in Victoria and South Australia.
In addition to the above, Julie is also a member of the Retail Committee for Property Council, a Fellow of the Australian Property Institute, Vice President of Caulfield South Community House and a judge and mentor for the Tourism Victoria Marketing Awards.
LLM (Monash), LLB (Hons), BA (Hons) Melbourne
Phillip is currently the Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel of Advanced Paediatric Life Support Australia.
Phillip’s Board experience includes:
- Director of Queen Elizabeth Centre (a Victorian Public Hospital)
- Governor of the MBAV Scholarship Fund
- Member of the Board of Examiners for the Legal Profession in Victoria since 2008
- Member of OLGC Finance Committee
Phillip was a partner of international law firm Mallesons Stephen Jaques from 1 July 1999 to 30 June 2013. He was a solicitor at Mallesons for 23 years.
He is Fellow of the Tax Institute of Australia.
He is a Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australia.
Phillip has a Postgraduate-Master of Laws degree (1996), Monash University and Undergraduate-Honours Law degree and Honours Arts degree at Melbourne.
Cr Felicity Frederico
BBus (Mktg), MAICD
Felicity Frederico is a partner of nem (Non Executive Management) and an elected councillor at Bayside City Council.
Felicity’s current experience includes:
- Committee of Management Bayciss
- Board member of the Southern Metropolitan Junior Football League
Felicity has a marketing background (consumer, services and industrial). She is currently a partner in a consultancy specialising in developing and implementing business plans and marketing strategies. She has extensive marketing experience with large multinational and medium sized companies.
She takes an active interest in her community and currently has active roles at a local football club, a lifesaving club and schools.
In addition she is:
- Chair Bayside Tourism Network
- Member of Bayside City Council Audit Committee
Felicity is a BBus graduate of Monash University majoring in Marketing. She also holds a Certificate of Tourism from William Angliss College.
MBus., Grad.Dip.Bus.Tech., FCPA, ACSA, AFIN.
Richard Jones is semi-retired following a career in accounting, finance and governance. Richard spent the last 16 years in CFO, governance and corporate planning roles within Victorian local government. He retains his involvement in the sector through consultancy projects and membership of the Brimbank City Council audit committee.
Richard’s prior board experience in the Cemetery and Crematoria sector includes:
- Member of the Lilydale Cemeteries Trust from 2007
- Chair of the Lilydale Cemeteries Trust’s Administration and Audit Committee from 2008.
Richard also works in a number of local community volunteering roles.
Richard holds a Master of Business (RMIT) and a Graduate Diploma of Business Technology (Monash), and is a Fellow of CPA Australia (FCPA), an Associate of Chartered Secretaries Australia (ACSA) and an Associate of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia, (AFIN).
MBA, Grad.Dip.App.Corp.Gov., Grad.Dip.App.Info.Sys, B.Bus.(Acct.)
Gaye Mason is an experienced finance and governance professional having previously held positions with Telstra, including as Director Business Development Telstra Wholesale, and prior to that with a number of predominately telecommunications related organisations.
Gaye’s board experience includes:
- Director of Central Highlands Water, where she also sits on the Audit and Customer Participation committees
- Member of the Victorian Department of Health Audit and Risk Management Committee
- Chair of the City of Port Phillip and the Wyndham Council Audit & Risk Committees
- Member of Adult Multicultural Education Services (AMES) Audit and Risk Management Committee
- Director of the International Women’s Development Agency (IWDA) Foundation
- Past Victorian President, and board member, of CPA Australia
Gaye holds a Bachelor of Business (Accounting) (RMIT University), a Graduate Diploma Applied Corporate Governance (Chartered Secretary), Graduate AICD Diploma course, Graduate Diploma Applied Information Systems (RMIT University), and a Master of Business Administration (Deakin University). She is also FCPA, FAICD, ACSA.
Stephen Shipp has more than 25 years experience as a solicitor in property, commercial law and deceased estates. He currently practices with Taylor Splatt & Partners.
Stephen is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria and the current president of the Mornington Peninsula Lawyers’ Association.
Stephen’s board experience includes:
- Past president of the Rotary Club of Seaford-Carrum Downs
- Past president of the Frankston Primary School Council
- Past trust member of the Necropolis Springvale and chair of its Information Technology committee.
Stephen holds a Bachelor of Economics (Accounting), and a Bachelor of Law (Monash University).